The Froyo (Android 2.2) release on Nexus One brings a lot of joy. The much-needed speed improvement does wonders to the overall experience using the N1/Android.
Instead of going over the new major features of Froyo, I will go through the little things.
Over the past 4 months or so of extensive N1 usage, I kept track of a few annoyances. Some of them were mentioned here.
- Silent mode on home screen does not enable vibrate [Fixed - now when you swipe left the phone goes on silent with vibrate on. ]
- Vibrate on message receipt during a call [Not fixed. Still very annoying. ]
- Screen doesn’t go to sleep on dismissing an Alarm [Fixed. ]
- Call screen freeze – The call screen becomes slow with the swipe motion moving clunky and there is time delay between vibrate and ringtone. [Fixed. I guess because of the overall speed improvement this is not an issue anymore]
- Contact list scroll – The contact list on scrolling would not refresh the images of contacts [Fixed. ]
- Gmail address entry – The font as ridiculously huge, thus not allowing me to see the email id, only the name [Fixed. The font size has been reduced]
- Gmail labels – I was missing the colours [Fixed.]
- Power Control widget overrides auto adjust background lighting. [Fixed. The power control widget has an "Automatic" setting along with the 3 other brightness levels]
- Browser close button/option – I would really like one. [Not necessary anymore. Earlier with the phone slowing down I would have wanted to close the browser. Now the phone's response is snappy so I really don't need the button anymore.]
- Gallery doesn’t refresh automatically – would like a manual refresh button for it. [Not fixed. I haven't come across any refresh issue yet after the upgrade, but I would like the option nonetheless]
- Clear SMS messages by age – Apart from just being able to choose a message count limit thread, it would be nice if old message by a configurable limit would get cleared [Not fixed.]
- Calendar month view – The thick green bar didn’t really give a visual indication of the occupied time slot in the month view. This should ideally be colour coded according to the calendars [Partial fix. The calendar month view has been cleaned up with a narrow blue bar indicating the time slot. However there is still no colour coding as per calendar]
- Maps – custom labels for starred items. [Not fixed. The good news is that this doesn't require an Android update. A future map update would suffice]
I am one happy N1/Android user.